Saturday, November 13, 2004

New Zealand Pics

Now I'm almost done here in kiwiland, its been fun, but I think its time to move on. I did so much in the first few days here, its hard to believe that I've been here over a week already. So since I have the time and the capabilities, why not post more pictures? Sweet-as. That's a New Zealand expression, and no its not sweet-ass, its different.


One of the first places we stopped, a place called cathedral cove. The limestone had some neat formations.

If there was something I noticed about New Zealand, it was the lack of flatness and abundance of rolling green hills with sheep or cows on them.

A furry bunny and me. This guy will get shaved in a couple of days and they use the fur to make wool and stuff. He sure was soft and fluffy.

Fireworks. Do you know who Guy Forkes (I don't know if I spelled that right or not) is? I didn't until November 5. Apparently way back when, as in 400 years ago, he tried to blow up the British parliament by placing a whole bunch of explosives in the catacombs beneath it. However he was caught before he could do it so they burned him at the stake. Now Britain and some of its colonies celebrate Guy Forkes Day by having a huge pyre (this one was started with a teepee of wood about 15 feet tall) and then throwing a dummy on it - supposed to be Guy Forkes. Then they have this big fireworks display which is supposed to represent the explosives that didn't go off under parliament. We were in a small town of Whitianga and they had this impressive for a small town fireworks display on the beach.

An example of thermal activity. Just some random spot in a park where hot steam was bubbling up through the mud. There were lots of these holes in the park, some with mud, some just empty except for steam, others filled with steaming water. It was quite intriguing.

Some Maori dancers giving us a concert.

Getting ready to go skydive, my do I look handsome!


Mt. Doom.

Being in a volcanic crater is very cool. Especially with the snow. Haha lame I know.

One of three emerald lakes on the Tongariro Crossing.

Well I think that's enough pictures for now. Maybe when I get some Australian ones I'll post those.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home