Saturday, October 30, 2004

Hiking

So the first time I hiked to the top of Wayalailai I went with some guys from the resort, and one guy thought he could make it up without a guide. We didn't want to pay $10pp for a guide. So we went up and made a wrong turn somewhere within 5 minutes of starting. The dog we took up wasn't much help as it wasn't leading us up, but instead chasing goats. Anyways we made it up fine, after scrmbling over some rocks and stuff we found the right path. And we made it up to watch the sunset. Coming back down we got lost again, but this time in the dark with bats flying high overhead. Fortunately I brought my headlamp. I wasn't too concerned about getting lost because we knew the way was down and once we made it to the beach we could just follow it to the resort. I was concerned about missing dinner. Well they saved dinner for us which was nice of them. They're pretty good about that at the resort.

A couple days ago I went hiking in the Koroyanitu National Heritage Park outside Lautoka, back on the mainland. I decided to do the 4hr hike since I had the time. I decided to get a guide, but all the regular guides were gone, so I got a discounted ($5 less) guide - a kid named Manga. Fortunately he knew where he was going, although I couldn't understand all that much of what he said. We reached the top (879m) elevation gain of 500m in 1.25hrs. It was quite difficult as it must of been 30degrees outside and probably 90-95% humidity. After the first half hour I had to rest almost every 10 minutes. The view from the top was brilliant.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Hey Aaron,
Good to hear from you and that you are having a good time, seems like a good trip, slow pace, good weather and good times. Looking forward to pics etc when you get back.
What books are you reading in those hammocks?
Meeting cool international travel peeps?
later
jon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home