Saturday, October 30, 2004

Kava

I don't know if you've heard of kava (or yaqona), but it is a root they grow here and bash up and then make this drink out of it in a big bowl that looks like a mud puddle. It apparently has narcotic properties and is good for helping you sleep. The Fijian men sit around at night drinking it and singing for hours. It is served in half a coconut shell, when you get it you clap your hands, say Bula!, drink it all down and clap your hands three times. I found that it doesn't taste as bad as people said. So we were sitting around with the Fijian guys at Wayalailai resort in the evening one day, playing games and listening to music and they had the kava out. So we were drinking it, and I had 6 bowls of it. I didn't feel any different. But later on I woke up in the middle of the night and my stomach wasn't too happy. Then in the morning my head felt heavy and foggy. The other guys that were drinking it didn't seem to have any problems though and they drank even more. So I decided to not drink kava again. Well until two nights later I wanted to hang out with the Fijian guys and some other guests and they were drinking kava again. I tried to say no, but it didn't work. I only drank 3 bowls before I excused myself and went to bed. My stomach still protested to it, but at least I was fine in the morning. So here's a precaution, don't drink the kava.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home