Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Freefalling

I've heard that a common dream that people have is that they are falling and falling, and then they wake up before they hit the ground. I've never had that dream.

But I have been falling and falling at over 180km/hr from a height of 12000ft though. Yes I went skydiving when I was in Taupo. It was an interesting experience and I'm glad that I did it. So here's how it went down.

There were about 20 or so of us from the Kiwi bus that were going skydiving which kind of sucked which meant that we had to wait a long time since only 6 could go up in the plane at a time, but it was also good since we all sort of knew eachother so we could talk about it and stuff.

So I was excited about this sky dive the whole day and was rather disappointed that the weather was kind of overcast when we arrived in Taupo. I was surprised at this, as I figured I would be nervous and wishing the weather to be poor so it would be cancelled. The fact is I didn't actually feel nervous until we were up at 12,000ft and the door opened. I don't understand how my body works and how it gets so worked up over some little things, yet the thought of jumping out of a plane doesn't faze it.

Anyways, when the door opened there wasn't really any time to think about it as the skydiver strapped to my back (actually it was probably more correct to say that I was strapped to his chest) was moving towards the door and jumped out and I didn't have to do anything. It is quite a feeling falling extremely fast for 45 seconds from 12000 to 5000ft. Especially when you fall into a cloud. That was unfortunate since I couldn't see the ground anymore, but it did feel unusual as the cloud was going up my nose. Just as I think I was getting use to falling, the parachute opened and we were slower. But we were in a cloud so it was hard to tell which direction was down. Eventually we came out of the cloud and had a great view of the lake and the surrounding farmland. The landing went very smoothly.

So I've gone skydiving. Thinking back it doesn't seem that exciting - perhaps because it was over so quickly. I much rather go tubing underground in a cave full of glowing maggots.

2 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Mindy said...

Aaron!! I can't believe you went sky-diving...that's sounds incredible...falling through the clouds. I am so envious of all the awesome adventures you are experiencing! but I am glad you are b/c you have earned this trip! You worked your butt off at SFU and it's nice to hear about you just enjoying the ride of life!
Great posts, keep 'em comin'!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger S. said...

This got me laughing: "It did feel unusual as the cloud was going up my nose."

Hey Aaron! There's a cloud up your nose!! :)

That's awesome. Reading your blog makes me wonder what the heck I'm working and studying for right now. Sigh ... I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home