Thursday, November 04, 2004

Impressions of Fiji

Well I arrived in Auckland this morning. Wow, what a difference from Fiji. Auckland is just like North America, from the quality of the internet connection, to the buildings and people, the cars, and to the food. Fiji is so much poorer. The cars are older, the buildings all have corrugated steel roofs and many are cinder blocks. The lifestyle is a lot more laid back than here and at home. You often see people just sitting around, outside stores, etc. Everything runs on Fiji Time - that is, it happens when the person in charge is ready. It took a couple days to get to used to, but then its fine, its not like I had a pressing schedule while I was over there. I like Fiji - not to live there, but as a visiting place. I would definitely go back again for a holiday. Going back I would spend all my time in the islands, instead of the mainland. I don't regret going to the mainland, but once you've seen it, the islands are much better.

It's kind of nice being here in Auckland since it is a decent temperature. Last night in Nadi (Fiji) it was so hot, just sitting still it felt like I was sweating. But like everything else, you just accept it and don't let it bother you.

1 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger Arnold said...

Glad to see your having fun. My buddy, Nathan, is traveling in New Zealand right now. I saw his pictures online and it seems like a cool place to visit. Be sure to visit the town of Matamata (the location of the movie sets for Hobbiton and Bag End). Also, visit Mt. Ngaurohoe aka Mt. Doom and Tongariro National Park.

"What about second breakfast?"

Peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home