Monday, October 23, 2006

Hellas

Since this trip to Greece was kind of last minute, my travel plans didn't exactly work out as smoothly as I desired, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. My flight from Hamburg to Frankfurt was first thing in the morning, but from Frankfurt to Athens was at 7:50pm, so I had a day in Frankfurt to waste. Once in Athens I slept in the airport before catching the 7:15am ferry to Santorini.

Arriving in Santorini was quite interesting because the port is in the center of the caldera of a volcano which erupted in 1630BC and was one of the most violent eruptions ever recorded. The cliffs were red with a brilliant blue sea and blindingly white buildings perched on the cliff edge.



The place I stayed was a 10 minute walk from the beach, but more importantly, only a 5 minute walk from the bakery. Every morning I walked to the bakery to get some freshly baked bread to enjoy with my nutella for breakfast, and some spanakopita or other Greek pastries for lunch. Eating was definitely one of the highlights for me in Greece. I enjoyed trying many different greek foods, some of my favourites being stuffed calamari, moussaka, greek salad and ouzo. Besides eating, I rented an ATV to explore the island with two Danish guys I met, climbed to the highest point on the island, and went swimming in the Aegean Sea.







After Santorini I headed to the nearby island of Naxos, where I spent one day relaxing at the beach, before taking another long ferry ride back to Athens.

2 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger S. said...

Hi Aaron, I tried commenting on this post the day you posted it, but Blogger wasn't being nice. Bloody Blogger.

I like the pics very much. I have always wanted to visit Greece. The saturated blue and the browns and whites are beautiful. Nice ad for Nutella by the way. It made me want to be by the water in Greece eating Nutella on fresh bread.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

Wow, these pictures are amazing!!! I want to be there right now. And that nutella shot could be a commerial...you should call Nutella.
Later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home