Thursday, September 22, 2005

Welding and Duct Tape

My supervisor at work has a welder so I asked if I could borrow it since I needed some welding done on my Beetle. The biggest problem was that I have never welded before - well my Grandpa helped me weld when I was 12, but all I remember is not being able to see anything through the mask. Fortunately my supervisor's welder was a MIG welder which is apparently the easiest type of welding to do. I practiced welding washers onto one of my old fenders until I could consistently get them to stick. Then came the welding of the fender nuts to the beetle body. First I had to figure out how to get them to stick in place while I welded them on. You can't easily hold them there while you weld, so I thought, hey duct tape is sticky, let's try if that works. And it did, it melted a little, but that's no big deal. So I got all the nuts welded on, but the welds don't look very nice at all - its a good thing that when I put the fenders back on you can't see the welds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home